The structure of the back and the strength and stability of the thoracic spine make it less likely for upper back pain to occur. When it does happen, our highly skilled Harrisburg chiropractor can help improve your pain by providing non-invasive chiropractic care at Skocik Chiropractic. Rest assured, there are no drugs or surgical procedures involved, just natural techniques and therapies proven to target and eliminate pain from its source.
Upper Back Pain Causes
The upper back consists of the thoracic spine which is protected by muscles, tendons, and ligaments. The connective tissue also keeps the back stable. Overuse of the soft tissue, lifestyle habits, acute injuries, and degenerative conditions are often responsible for acute and chronic pain in this region of the back. They include poor posture, improper lifting technique, and a direct hit to the upper back as well as:
- Sports or accident injuries
- Muscle strains or tension
- Spinal misalignment
- Herniated thoracic discs
The pain could be sharp, dull, or achy, and may spread to the shoulders, arm, chest, or mid back. Numbness and tingling may also occur due to an impinged nerve. Other symptoms are muscle stiffness or spasms, tenderness, and headaches.
Upper Back Pain Treatment by Our Chiropractor in Harrisburg
When it comes to treating your back pain, our goal is to choose and combine appropriate methods that will provide the most effective relief. A thorough physical and medical exam is performed prior to treatment and typically include an X-ray of the back and spine. This helps us spot musculoskeletal injuries or imbalances causing you pain. Based on the results, your holistic wellness plan may include these techniques and therapies:
- Chiropractic Adjustments: Spinal manipulation is an adjustment technique done to gently nudge the joints back into proper alignment. This is achieved by applying gentle, thrusting force to the spine using the hands or a small instrument. Realigning the spine provides lasting pain relief, corrects musculoskeletal imbalances, and improves nervous system function.
- Spinal Decompression: This technique uses traction therapy to stretch the spine. Doing this creates space between the vertebrae which allows displaced disc material to slip back into position. Decompression also alleviates pain by releasing the compressed nerve.
- Massage Therapy: This therapy helps to relieve muscle stress and tension, reduce inflammation, promote soft tissue healing and repair, and increase flexibility.
- Holistic Wellness Services: Back pain treatment at Skocik Chiropractic does not stop at adjustments. We offer corrective exercises, nutritional counseling, and postural screenings to help strengthen your body and boost overall health.
Receive Chiropractic Care from Our Experienced Chiropractor
Skocik Chiropractic welcomes patients from Harrisburg and surrounding cities who're seeking long-term pain relief naturally. It's time to put nagging back pain behind you. Call us at (717) 540-8448 to book a consultation or request one online.